Thursday, May 18, 2006

Black Angels Get Their Wings


In March of 2005, I stumbled upon The Black Angels on Myspace and I was stunned. I used to do a spot called “Who To Look Out For” and these Texans were the first to be featured. This is what I had to say:

Fuzzed out, VU-inspired, by-the-balls rock and roll. Hold on tight, kids - this band is going to storm through the indie scene like Grant through Richmond.

Two months later, I reviewed their EP, Sniper at the Gates of Dawn, and said this:

The Black Angels throw punches – a swirling full-fisted flurry of sexually delivered lyrics, drug-hazed Velvet Underground repetition, and that special attitude that makes rock and roll exciting, intriguing, and identifiable.

Their new four-song EP,
The Sniper at the Gates of Dawn, is bullish and gropes you with everything The Black Angels have in those moments of creation.

It’s “Black Grease” that caught my attention and it’s that track which I’ll give you. Last March, I described it this way: blurred bass line, Texas jangled guitar, relentless drums, stadium-sized vocals, and a consistent fuzz that holds it all together – it’s unavoidable – it’s inescapable.

I only quote myself because I don’t think I could put any of it any other way without plagiarizing myself, so what’s the point? Either way, The Black Angels are starting a nationwide tour that goes through June to promote their debut full length, Passover (out on Light in the Attic). If you have a chance to see them, do so.


The Black Angels - Black Grease

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught the black angels this past march at SXSW... they sat in for the brian jonestown massacre (who was... missing?) and played a set with anton newcombe fronting during a day party.

IT ROCKED.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home